Happy 2022 Earth Week!
Our planet does some pretty amazing things for us. Celebrate Earth Day with the Tahoe Earth Week Challenge.
Celebrate in person this year in South Lake Tahoe and North Lake Tahoe. To learn more about South Tahoe events visit here. To learn more about North Tahoe events visit here.
Complete one activity each day of the week, April 18-23. Post your pictures and tag #earthweektahoe!
Join in on the fun, download the Challenge HERE! Available in English and Spanish.
- Download the Tahoe Nature Activity Book for a month worth of nature activities
- Join the dark sky movement and turn off outside lights at night to protect wildlife and save energy
- Download the Citizen Science Tahoe app, to share your observations of Lake Tahoe with scientists to help researchers better understand conditions around the lake
What to Wear: Animal print or animal-themed shirt
- Calculate your Carbon Footprint
- Eat three vegetarian meals (no beef, chicken, fish or pork) to reduce your carbon footprint
- Get your bikes out and get ready for Tahoe Bike Month in June! Learn how to prep your bike for the 2022 season, and sign up for the bike path cleanup on June 1st. Learn more about bike month here.
- Learn how to send a postcard to the President or write a letter to the newspaper editor to address climate change – your voice matters!
What to Wear: White for clean clouds
- Fill your reusable water bottle with Tahoe Tap and help eliminate microplastics from polluting our waterways
- Pick up dog poop on your neighborhood walk to help protect water clarity
- Take the Tahoe Keeper Quiz to learn how to clean, drain and dry your boat and gear to keep Aquatic Invasive Species out of Lake Tahoe
- Complete Keep Tahoe Blue’s Preserve a Plant activity
What to Wear: Blue for clean water
- Pick up trash in your neighborhood during the Tahoe’s Trash Pickup Challenge or join a community trash cleanup with Keep Tahoe Blue
- Use or make a reusable grocery bag out of an old t-shirt – VIDEO
- Do your part to Keep Wildlife Wild by securing trash with bear-proof bins
What to Wear: Green for the Earth!
- Learn Washoe names and pronunciations of native plants & animals!
- Learn how to grow your own garden by signing up for a free class
- Prepare for fire by getting prepared, informed and involved with Tahoe Living With Fire
- Rake pine needles for defensible space – be sure to keep any trash out of your green waste so that it can be composted
- Drop off here
- Watch this video to learn about the benefits of prescribed fires to forest health. Visit here for more information.
- Stay up to date on the latest fire regulations!
- Watch A Fire For All video — FOREST⇌FIRE
- Tune in to watch the Wild and Scenic Film Festival
What to Wear: Red to prevent wildfire
- Practice the Leave No Trace principles to protect the environment
- Walk, bike, or ride the bus – don’t drive! Learn how to get around car-free!
- Blaze a trail of kindness in a new place
- Complete the City of South Lake Tahoe’s nature scavenger hunt or run a Virtual 5k
- Watch Protect Lake Tahoe with Generation Green and the USFS!
What to Wear: Colors of the rainbow