Happy 2021 Earth Week!
Lake Tahoe is celebrating Earth Day with daily activities to celebrate our planet all week (April 19-24, 2021). Join in on the fun, post your pictures, and tag #earthweektahoe.
Mother Nature Monday: 4/19/21
- Enter Tahoe Institute of Natural Science’s Wildlife Photo Contest by posting a picture of Tahoe’s wildlife (or bird) to social media with the tag #earthweektahoe or emailing [email protected]
- Download the Tahoe Nature Activity Book for a month worth of nature activities
- Join the dark sky movement and turn off outside lights at night to protect wildlife and save energy
- Download the Citizen Science Tahoe app, to share your observations of Lake Tahoe with scientists to help researchers better understand conditions around the lake
What to Wear: Animal print or animal-themed shirt
Climate Action Tuesday: 4/20/21
- Calculate your Carbon Footprint
- Eat three vegetarian meals (no beef, chicken, fish or pork) to reduce your carbon footprint
- Ride your bike and win prizes from Tahoe local businesses and individuals for the Tahoe Bike Challenge! Log your miles on lovetoride.net/Tahoe to win.
- Learn how to send a postcard to the President or write a letter to the newspaper editor to address climate change – your voice matters!
- Learn how to take climate action locally!
What to Wear: White for clean clouds
Clean Water Wednesday: 4/21/21
- Fill your reusable water bottle with Tahoe Tap and help eliminate microplastics from polluting our waterways
- Pick up dog poop on your neighborhood walk to help protect water clarity
- Take the Tahoe Keeper Quiz to learn how to clean, drain and dry your boat and gear to keep Aquatic Invasive Species out of Lake Tahoe
- Complete Keep Tahoe Blue’s Preserve a Plant activity
What to Wear: Blue for clean water
Trash Free Thursday: 4/22/21
- Pick up trash in your neighborhood or join a community trash cleanup with Keep Tahoe Blue
- Learn ways to reduce waste and litter from Keep Tahoe Blue
- Use or make a reusable grocery bag out of an old t-shirt – VIDEO
- Tune in to watch the Wild and Scenic Film Festival
- Do your part to Keep Wildlife Wild by securing trash with bear-proof bins
What to Wear: Green for Earth Day!
Healthy Forest Friday: 4/23/21
- Learn Washoe names and pronunciations of native plants & animals!
- Learn how to grow your own garden by signing up for a free class
- Prepare for fire by getting prepared, informed and involved with Living with Fire
- Rake pine needles for defensible space – be sure to keep any trash out of your green waste so that it can be composted
- Drop off here
- Watch this video to learn about the benefits of prescribed fires to forest health. Visit here for more information.
- Stay up to date on the latest fire regulations!
What to Wear: Red to prevent wildfire
Send It Sustainably Saturday: 4/24/21
- Practice the Leave No Trace principles to protect the environment
- Walk, bike or ride the bus – don’t drive! Learn how to get around car free!
- Blaze a trail of kindness in a new place
- Complete the City of South Lake Tahoe’s nature scavenger hunt or run a Virtual 5k
What to Wear: Colors of the rainbow